The People's Senate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Before you drop your change in that kettle...

2 posters

Go down

Before you drop your change in that kettle... Empty Before you drop your change in that kettle...

Post  Rhythmic Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Remember that this organization welcomes our hard-earned money, but would not hire us nor even accept us for membership. (bolded emphasis mine):

The Army recognises that same-sex friendships can be enriching, Christ-honouring relationships, bringing joy through mutual companionship and sharing. However, same-sex relationships which are genitally expressed are unacceptable according to the teaching of Scripture. Attempts to establish or promote such relationships as viable alternatives to heterosexually-based family life do not conform to God’s will for society....

For this reason such practices, if unrenounced, render a person ineligible for Salvation Army soldiership(read: membership/employment), in the same way that unrenounced heterosexual misconduct is a bar to soldiership. The Army recognises the strength of feeling about sexual identity, and the difficulty many find in expressing this identity in keeping with scriptural standards.

However, it believes firmly in the power of God’s grace to enable the maintenance of a lifestyle pleasing to him, including a lifestyle built upon celibacy and self-restraint for those who will not or cannot marry.

And in regard to that last section, i wonder how they justify that same discrimination in states where GLBT couples CAN legally wed?

Rhythmic

Back to top Go down

Before you drop your change in that kettle... Empty "genitally expressed"?!

Post  Formerly KamaAina Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Shocked

I always wanted to print up some scrip that read "Sorry, but I don't donate to homophobic bigots", then slip that into Mr. Kettle instead.

Irony of all ironies: The first such kettle was set up in the late 19th century -- at the Ferry Building in San Francisco.

Formerly KamaAina

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum